Sunday 21 February 2010

Posh Corned Beef Hash

Ok so the environmentalist in me knows corned beef is bad, that it comes from Brazil where their pulling down the rainforest for pasture land, but corned beef is of my guilty pleasures. To compensate I don't buy it often, and this one tin has been sat in my cupboard for 2 months so it was time to use it.

Usually when making corned beef I do it the old fashioned way. Boil spuds, chop corned beef, add beans, bake in the oven, add cheese. If im feeling adventurous I might even brown an onion.

I tried this recipe from a cook book I have. I won't mention names but some of you might be able to guess who's cookbook this is from when I say that he has a face you want to punch, A smug, upper class twattish voice, but does cook some pretty good things. On writing that I realise I could be talking about half a dozen tv chefs. What made me try this recipe? I'm using the last of the sprouts from the allotment and thought why not.

If im honest I really like the sloppiness of just chucking everything in the old fashioned way, but this proved to be a good alternative that was alot lighter than its sloppy counterpart.

The Dish I made last night serves to. To make it serve more use more sprouts and more potatoes.

3 - 4 medium size spuds
1 tin of corned beef (I try to use lean)
Aprox 15 sprouts.
125ml milk (Full fat if possible)
1 spoon of english mustard
Cheddar or similar cheese

Start by part boiling the spuds for 10 mins, or just under depending on thickness. Drain and leave to steam off.

Wash ,peel, wash again, and half the sprouts. Cook in a pan with a knob of butter. When their browning nicely add a splash of water and reduce until the water is gone. They should still have some bite left to them. Throw in the chopped corned beef and mix, before spreading evenly is the dish you will put into the oven.

Take the now steamed off potatoes and grate on the largest setting on the grater. Grate all over the corned beef and sprout mixture (This is where more potatoes could make a bigger portion).

Mix a spoon full of mustard into the milk (if you can be bothered use warm milk, it will mix easier but its not essential). The mustard wont be overpowering, but just adds a nice, subtle flavour. Pour the milk mixture over the corned beef hash and bake in a pre heated oven at 200 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes. 5 Minutes before the end add some cut/grated cheese and allow to melt. Serve on its own or with some green veg.

No comments:

Post a Comment